An Evening of Thriller and Thought-Provoking Entertainer Movie -- Blood Diamond
Today evening as we started from work to home, we just thought of watching some movie. A quick search over the week there were good reviews on Blood Diamond. The movie was running at Starplex Cinemas, Irving. The theater was about a fifteen minute drive from our Homestead Studio Suites. The caption of this post includes a word 'Entertainer'. But I strongly feel that it is a misnomer. It just fits the context in emphasizing it as a movie however the movie has very strong messages and it brings out the feelings and conditions of oppressed people suffering at the hands of smugglers and other greedy people who challenge the precious lives of people to amass wealth by hook or by crook. The 150 minute movie kept us spellbound and glued to the big screen.
While I entered the theater, it was really majestic one. With so many cine options available within the same complex designed exquisitely is itself stands a good testimony of architectural splendor. Quoting from Wikipedia, A blood diamond (also called a conflict diamond, dirty diamond or a war diamond) is a diamond mined in a war zone and sold, usually clandestinely, in order to finance an insurgent or invading army's war efforts.
There are a number of thoughts and messages which are conveyed through the movie.
- Avaricious and aggressive greed of the people to swindle the country and its people of its precious resources.
- Spine-chilling genocide and slavery of innocent people to extort labor from them like diamond mining.
- Inspite of his son being taken into the the gang of looters, the father's love for him to search and tread him back to the correct paths. When the son again lifted his weapon against the dad and his friend while rescuing him, the way he tries to move him sentimentally and correct him is really very moving and an emotional scene.
- The smuggler, understanding that he can not survive for long gives the diamond to the fisherman and his son to escape besides calling his Journalist friend and asking him to protect the young boy.
- Jennifer Connelly has really done a very brave job in her role as a journalist.
A must-watch movie for anyone. Check it out at a theater near you. I would also like to share a YouTube trailer that daautodidact has uploaded.