Ayyappa (48-day) Observation -- Rules and Restrictions
One of my friend was suggesting me this -- "Why can not you put up some kind of blog post or an article summarizing the 48 day observation rules to be observed. Well. I had a small pocketbook and a couple of PDFs circulating in the emails.
Most of the rules normally are hearsay from our elders to us. As my friend suggested, today since I was relatively free, just thought I would update it as bullet points, so that future Ayyappa Swamis can immensely benefit from the same.
While my pocket books are in Tamil, I am attempting to compile the same in English. Should you find discrepancies, share your thoughts and observations as comments.
Most of the rules and observationary regulations are purely for our own control and development -- to streamline our day-to-day chores.
- All round the work time, keep your mind only focused on the Lord. Even the work you do is being instrumented by the Lord. Dedicate the same to the Lord. Perhaps, Bhagavad Gita too shares a similar thought.
- Avoid the enemies like Lust, Anger, Greed and Seductive Attraction.
- Avoid gambling, smoking, alcoholic drinks and non-vegeterian dishes.
- Ensure that you don't hurt anybody either verbally or by action.
- When you meet a peer, who is in the 48-day observation, treat him on par Lord Ayyappa. Tell him Sharanam and offer pranams to him. There is no age, degree or other demarcatory restrictions in this whatsoever.
- Your Guruswamy is on par Ayyappa. Service to your Guru is service to the Lord Himself.
- The spirtual observation that you are on, you need to offer the fullest possible respect to Lord Ayyappa. There is no place of ego clashes in this whatsoever.
- Just because you are on the observation, your family members need not incur additional work burdens either physically or fiscally or otherwise. In the same vien, ensure that your family members do not obstruct or disturb your observation in any way. Let them understand the full depth of the observation.
- In the unforeseen circumstance of having to encounter a birth or death in the near family relationship, surrender the mala to Lord Ayyappa photo. Wait for that year. You are eligible for the yatra from the next year.
- You can humbly surrender to the Lord each time as Kanni Samy and with that reverence, if you worship the Lord, He bestows in you all His divine blessings.
- With the spirtual observation on, you are being treated on par Lord Ayyappa. You need to preserve that respect you recieve and surrender unto the Lord. All people would offer Pranams to you, for this reason. There is no reason of gaining a superiority or ego because of this. You are just a relay server. Just think of the Lord and surrender those pranams to Ayyappa and seek His blessings for the people too.
- All women, including your spouse are now on par your mother. Treat them with this vision.
- Self Beautification is prohibited during the observation. This include:
- Oiling Hair
- Oil Bath
- As far as possible, eating and dining out can be avoided. In the worst inevitable case, follow strict vegetarianism.
- A Tulasi leaf with you can help you ward off lot of evils.
Hope these small tips would help you a great way in getting up with the Spiritual observation for Lord Ayyappa to get His complete blessings.