World AIDS (Awareness) Day
AIDS -- the most dreaded infection that spells terror throughout the world, thanks to its might of creating a lack of proper medication hitherto, which is the power of HIV Virus, which has diversified ways of spreading through the world. Perhaps, I came across a website called World Aids Day, dedicated for this observatory day.
While HIV/AIDS seems to be a terror, actual ignorance about HIV/AIDS seems to be more terrifying and spreading the infection and the impact further.
HIV is the acronym of Human Immunodeficiency Virus. This is the virus known to cause AIDS (Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome). If someone is HIV-positive, it means they have been infected with the virus. A person may be infected with the virus but he is not still AIDS patient unless the virus has started creating havoc on the self defense system of his physiology.
HIV/AIDS does not spread by the following:
- Casual Physical Contact
- Sharing and Using Toiletries, Utensils and Food Items including beverages etc.
- Mosquitoes or other insects
- Unprotected Sexual Intercourses with Infected Partner
- Nonchalant Use of Syringes, Needles in Clinics while advocating and using injections.
- Human Physiological Part Transfusions which include Blood, Organ etc.
- Transmission from mother to child.
Prevention is better than cure
- Self-discipline is the only way. As the National Plege of India says 'All Indians are my brothers and sisters...' and Ayyappa devotees are expected to treat every girl in fron of them as Malikaipurathamma. This way, just like eradication of SmallPox from the world, HIV/AIDS can be etched in the pages of history.
- Get a new syringe/infection (disposable) while attending doctor sitting proactively. Refrain or refuse the doctor's own syringes for security reasons. Again, using syringes for self medication, drug abuse etc should be condemned. Should you witness such an occasion, be proactive in bringing the issue to book and limelight at your earliest. It is the greatest service to the society you can do.
- There is nothing wrong in discussing about eradication, prevention and asking doubts regarding the same. Perhaps it is a heinous offence to suppress the doubts and then lament on a later stage.
AIDS Care Center in Chennai/India:
- Tamil Nadu AIDS Control Society (Government of Tamil Nadu)
Chennai -- 600 0088.
Tamil Nadu. INDIA.
Telephone: 91-44-28254917, 28256891, 28255467
24 hour BSNL Helpline: 1097