State Elections in India (May 2006)
A significant number of states are preparing to conduct elections for thier assemblies and legislative bodies in India. They are Assam, Kerala, Pondicherry, Tamil Nadu and West Bengal. Of these, as you might know that Assam has already seen the first phase of the elections last week.
From the perspective of Tamil Nadu (since I am from TN), I just thought of writing so that the reader could all information regarding the election and the election commission, which is a very significant responsibility on the citizen of the nation. It is a prime responsibility of every citizen to exercise his right of franchise and vote to select representatives in the legislative body as even our President Dr. A. P.J. Abdul Kalam describes in his speeches. Check out one of his Republic day speeches here.
Note: I am not politically attached to any of these parties. This post is purely for information for voters, mainly TamilNadu.
From the perspective of TamilNadu, the major contestants are:
- The Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam lead by Dr. (Kalaignar) M. Karunanidhi [DMK]
- The All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam lead by Dr. (Puratchi Thalaivi) J. Jayalalitha [AIADMK]
- A third-party has also developed an AIADMK election-oriented website called http://www.electadmk.com/ which provides some valuable information.
- Bharatiya Janata Party [BJP]
- Communist Party of India (Marxist) [CPI(M)]
- India National Congress
- Election Commission of India:
- Chief Electoral Officer of Tamil Nadu
- In case you have not recieved your Voters Id card, ensure that you visit this website, do a search of your name, and request details online for the same.
- Electoral Identification has been stipulated as a mandatory proof for casting your votes in the forthcoming elections. It has also been classified as a valid identification proof.