Saturday, January 19, 2008

Time crammed January 20th, 2008 (Busy Busy Sunday)

Time crammed January 20th, 2008 (Busy Busy Sunday)

I have three invites for celebrations across the city tomorrow. Perhaps, to take rest, since Sunday is also the only day to take rest, I may chose to send the wishes by calling them too.
  1. My friend (Rekha's Wedding) -- Unavoidable or there might be an aggressive call from Bangalore demanding a reason for absenting from the same. :)
  2. Sathya's Sister Wedding in West Mambalam -- This is actually my friend's sister. Hence I have some excuses for attending it via GSM. Anyway, I have his wedding to attend next month. :)
  3. A housewarming function of one of my colleague (Maria Sagayaraj). I may assign a ThreadPriority.Low to this for the following reasons:
    1. A very huge distance from my residence. It almost involves a semicircle trip across the Chennai City Map from Tambaram to Ambattur Pattaravalkam Railway Station.
  4. A one day technical workshop towards evening.
There are a real number of factors that are involved in which one to attend and which one to send a greetings live through GSM Text Messaging or a Voice Call or via a casual informal email note. A few of them at least with respect to the above schedules may be the following:

  1. The degree of proximity of the entities involved.
  2. The depth of relationships of the entities involved.
  3. The Precedence of functions. Attending one should not jeopardise the attendance to the other functions unduly or take too much travel expenditure or physical energy.
  4. My Schedule-slot availability in my Calendar also dictate which one to address and attend.
Considering the factors like 1, 2, 3 and 4 (and much more conceptualized), there are decisions to take.
"Sometimes, people feel when a particular decision is taken, we are harder on them and relaxed on the other. But the bottomline is that we always need to have a tradeoff to balance the schedules amicably. A few decisions does take a few people quite hard and a few like a breeze. But we need to go by such decisions and have to choose a wise decision.". One of my program managers in my previous organization ("Sasidharan Chinnaraj") used to go by this principle. He is very much systematic in his tasks and his time management is really amazing. I think he should be a role model for us to emulate to make the best use of time and cultivate best managerial skills.

I would keep you posted on the updates too.

No comments: