'Ten Commandments' from Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
Whilst casually browsing the online archive of Tamil Murasu October 1 edition, I came across a narration of a school function in Avadi, Chennai where our former President Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam had participated in the 50th Annual Day function of Ambattur Sir Ramasamy Mudaliar Higher Secondary School. After distributing the prizes for winners of various contests in the school, in his speech, the president seems to have given ten commandments to be followed by students and youngers.
I have endeavored to translate the ten commandments to English here for the benefit of everyone and as a humble service to all.
- We should all have a noble and high-vision goal in our life and ensure that we march towards it steadfast and focused.
- We should study attentively and work hard towards the high vision goal of our life.
- We should endeavor to spend our holiday by educating at least five illiterate people.
- We should try growing plants in our home/work/school and ensure that the plants grow healthy into a strong tree.
- We should take honest initiatives to cleanse up the minds of those affected by alcohol and tobacco addiction.
- We should endeavor to console people in sorrow and try giving them encouraging words as a gesture towards giving them a mental strength to come out of the sorrow shell.
- We should treat everyone as equal without any bias of religion, subsect or gender.
- We should try be honest in every step in our day to day life and be a role model for others to emulate.
- We should give a great and extreme respect to our parents who have given us this life in the world and we should also give a great respect to the womenhood.
- We should endeavor to spread the knowledge of education in our country and ensure that our country grows as a shining star in every field in the world.
With Gandhi Jayanthi today, I feel we can consider this as also a 'Gandhi Jayanthi Resolution which helps us to improve ourselves and serve our country too.